On 10/13/2018 8:32 AM, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
Sorry, I don't understand.

Gregg, can you shed some insight here? For both, applink.c is helpful if
the OpenSSL .dll files are created with a different VC compiler than
abs.exe was compiled with.

Not true, OSSL 1.0.2 I know from experience if applink.c is not included it will still err even if both ab.c & OSSL are compiled with the same VC version (14 & 15). I never tested 1.1.0.

.exe, it cannot be found from a .dll or Apache .so loadable.module.
Otherwise, I understand this to be a noop.

No, it just got moved to the ms folder is all that happened at 1.1.0 and is still there in 1.1.1.

I'm -1 on this till at least the majority of OSSL versions do not include applink.c.

OpenSSL project deprecated, that is, no longer ships applink.c in
include/openssl/ install directory. LibreSSL and BoringSSL have no such
resource.

Since you indicate that patching is trivial, and building with two
different compilers isn't something an open source project should fret
about, the Apache.exe and abs.exe should behave the same way. Pick one.