Hello, Igniters!

I investigated the issue and wrote some details in a draft document
[1]. I think we should made IEP for TDE because it is a big change and
should be described in a single place, but not in a message
conversation.
Please, look it and write your thoughts. What is not understandable,
what should be detailed or described?

> Where are we going to store keys (MEK) physically? Would it be PKCS#11
> storage? Where we will store passwords to unlock storage or it will be
> responibilty of user?

I think we should provide interface for MEK storage to let users use
storages they want. I suppose at the first step we should provide very
simple implementation, which will store MEK on every node and MEK will
be extracted by administrator during cluster activation process. Once
MEK is extracted from key store, we decrypt CEKs and destroy open MEK,
leaving open only cache keys.

I think external storage is user's worry and we shouldn't give users
built-in external storage like Oracle Wallet or Microsoft Azure Key
Vault because it will increase Ignite's complexity too much.

And yes, we should to comply with the standards like PKCS#11.

> One more thing is how "node gets MEK from coordinator", if we send
> cleartext MEK, such security becomes useless also.

Yeah, that's why we should use secured connection. As I know, we have
SSL implementation over JDK implementation, am I right? But we must
ensure to use latest SSL/TLS version.

[1] https://1drv.ms/w/s!AqZdfua4UpmuhneoVhOCiXSUBGIf