Guys,

I think this TDE proposal is not thought through enough yet. Please
consider the following points when writing the IEP:

 * How encryption keys will be stored and accessed? If the encryption key
is stored with the same permissions as the main data storage, the whole
exercise with encryption is self-deception
 * Will pages be encrypted on disk or also in memory?
 * How do you make sure that encrypted page fits the page size (I am not an
expert in encryption, so I am not sure if it adds an overhead)
 * As Dmitriy Pavlov mentioned, currently data and index pages are highly
redundant and some of the fields in certain pages are known in advance.
This significantly increases success of known-plain-text attacks. How are
you planning to fix it?
 * How will you write WAL delta records for encrypted pages? If a change in
a single byte will potentially change the whole page, this will induce a
huge write amplification on WAL. How do you encrypt WAL data records? How
will this work with this optimization: [1]

[1] https://ggsystems.atlassian.net/browse/IGN-7789

--AG