Hello Apache Kafka community

The ASF has a new data privacy policy to comply with the GDPR (the European
Union's General Data Protection Regulation) and we - like all other ASF
projects - have been asked to update our project homepage accordingly.

Mickael Maison has kindly traged the initial set of requirements and listed
down the required set of changes at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-13868.

I would like to bring your attention to a few PRs that address the required
changes and also solicit your comments on how I plan to solve others.

1. Our website is missing privacy policy -> Addressed by adding an item in
the top nav bar https://github.com/apache/kafka-site/pull/421. *Action -
please review the PR.*
2. It's using Google Analytics -> I would propose that we should get rid of
Google Analytics in favor of Apache recommended Matomo
<https://privacy.apache.org/faq/committers.html> for website analytics. If
you folks agree, I would request a Matomo site ID for Apache Kafka to make
the required changes.
*Action - do you agree to this change?*3. It's using Google Fonts -> I have
moved the Google fonts to a self hosted version which is acceptable by
Apache in the PR https://github.com/apache/kafka-site/pull/420.
*Action - please review the PR. *4. It's using scripts hosted on Cloudflare
CDN -> We use JS scripts such as handlebars
<https://github.com/handlebars-lang/handlebars.js> and prism
<https://prismjs.com/>. Both these libraries are MIT licensed and hence,
could be hosted locally along with the website. I will move them along to
be placed along with the website.
*Action - do you agree to this change?*5. Embedded videos don't have an
image placeholder -> I don't have a proposed solution for this. *Action -
can someone with front end experience help us with this one?*

Note that we need to make these changes by July 22nd and hence your
immediate attention would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

--
Divij Vaidya