Thank you for your clarification, Chris,

I have spent some time to review KIP-894 and I think it's automatic way is
better and bring no side effect, and I will also adopt this way here.
As you mentioned, the changes in semantics is minor, the most important reason
for this change is fixing bug brought by sensitive configs.

>  We
> don't appear to support appending/subtracting from list properties via the
> CLI for any other entity type right now,
You are right about this, I tried and found that we can’t subtract or append
configs, I will change the KIP to "making way for appending/subtracting list
properties"

--
Best,
Ziming