Thank you for the summary, Ziming.

Personally, I would prefer the latter i.e. having the incompatible change
in 4.x instead of 3.x. This is because a major version upgrade goes through
additional scrutiny by the users and usually comes with inevitable code
changes required on the client. Hence, this incompatibility will be part of
one amongst many changes that users will perform to upgrade to 4.x. This is
unlike a major version change from 3.7 to 3.8 where users expect a simple
upgrade without any code changes.

Let's wait and hear what others think about this.

--
Divij Vaidya