Hi Matthias,

I think for this particular case it would be worth creating a JIRA ticket
for this as it's a new "feature".
Regarding the change itself, I think we need to clarify how the release
process would work. Right now, the script `gradlewAll` is used (which
basically runs the build with Scala version 2.12 and 2.13). If I understand
your changes correctly, we would need to run the build 3 times:
- 1 with property scalaVersion 2.12
- 1 with scalaVersion 2.13 and streamsScalaVersion 2.13
- 1 with scalaVersion 2.13 and streamsScalaVersion 3.1

I think we should document this and discuss when to have this feature. If I
remember correctly from when I tried to update Kafka to Scala 3, the idea
was to push this to a Kafka 4.0 version because we didn't want to maintain
more than 2 Scala versions at the same time. I would encourage if not
having a KIP, at least open up a [DISCUSS] thread to clarify some of these
points.

I'll add some feedback on the PR itself regarding the changes.

Best,

--
[image: Aiven] <https://www.aiven.io>

aiven.io <https://www.aiven.io>   |   <https://www.facebook.com/aivencloud>