From:   Vahid S Hashemian/Silicon Valley/IBM@IBMUS
To:     dev@kafka.apache.org
Date:   11/07/2016 03:28 PM
Subject:        Re: [DISCUSS] KIP 88: DescribeGroups Protocol Update

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, the intent of the KIP is to make existing offsets of the group
available even when there is no active consumers in the group consuming
from one or more topic partitions.
Your suggestion should also work. I'm not yet sure how to obtain group's
all topic partitions and need to look more closely at your 'null=all'
suggestion, as I couldn't immediately see an obvious way to extract that
info in the OffsetFetch handler. I'll dig deeper.
Just a quick note that using the OffsetFetch API would not address the
second (but minor) problem described in the current KIP (the dummy group
member). I assume that is not a big concern.

Thanks.
--Vahid