Thanks for the KIP. +1 (binding) from me. A few minor comments:

1. We should add a note to the backwards compatibility section explaining
the impact of throwing DuplicateSequenceException (a new exception) from
`send`. As I understand it, it's not an issue, but good to include it in
the KIP.

2. For clarity, it's good to highlight in some way the new fields in the
protocol definition itself

3. I understand that you decided not to add max.message.bytes because it's
unrelated to this KIP. I'll try to persuade you that we should, but it's
not a blocker if you don't agree. The reasons are: 1. The implementation
effort to add it is minimal since it's a topic config like message format
version, 2. It's clearly beneficial for the producer to have that
information, 3. It's compact (just a number), 4. It's nice to avoid another
protocol bump for a small change like that.

Thanks,
Ismael