Features for 2.0.0 will be known after 1.1.0 is released in February 2018.
We are still doing the usual time-based release process[1].

I am raising this well ahead of time because of the potential impact of
removing the old Scala clients (particularly the old high-level consumer)
and dropping support for Java 7. Hopefully users can then plan accordingly.
We would do these changes in trunk soon after 1.1.0 is released (around
February).

I think it makes sense to complete some of the work that was not ready in
time for 1.0.0 (Controller improvements and JBOD are two that come to mind)
in 1.1.0 (January 2018) and combined with the desire to give advance
notice, June 2018 was the logical choice.

There is no plan to support a particular release for longer. 1.x versus 2.x
is no different than 0.10.x versus 0.11.x from the perspective of
supporting older releases.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Time+
Based+Release+Plan