The reporter of KAFKA-6690 (Bala) replied in the JIra ticket to my question to
elaborate about his use-case.  I don’t think he’s on the dev list.  Here’s his
response:

  Bala:  Sorry about the delay in reply. We use Kafka to process the
asynchronous events of our Document Management System such as preview
generation, indexing for search etc. The traffic gets generated via Web and
Desktop Sync application. In such cases, we had to prioritize the traffic from
web and consume them first. But this might lead to the starvation of events
from sync if the consumer speed is slow and the event rate is high from web. A
solution to handle the starvation with a timeout after which the events are
consumed normally for a specified period of time would be great and help us use
our resources effectively.

--
      Nick