Hi Guillaume,

On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 11:07:50 +0200
Guillaume Nodet <gno...@apache.org> wrote:
[...]
> So I'd like to propose to get rid of the feature-generate-descriptor
> from inside the feature packaging and replace it with the verify goal
> to validate the hand-written features instead.

I've started migrating OpenDaylight to generated features (if you're
really keen, https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/39539 is the first
patch in the migration), for a variety of reasons:
* the dependencies are only specified once (in the POM)
* bundles are wrapped automatically
* dependencies aren't forgotten (this is caught by automated tests, but
  if the plugin can handle it for us that's even better)

The main reason is the first one; we've hit all sorts of pain points
dealing with duplicate dependency definitions, and I'd really like to
avoid them.

I've been working on improving feature-generate-descriptor to support
our use-cases, and I am still planning on improving it (e.g. to handle
aggregate feature repositories). We still need hand-written feature.xml
snippets in some cases, and I'm not sure we'll ever be able to handle
them... But overall I've found the generator useful.

Regards,

Stephen