I am +1 on removing it, especially if nobody wants to maintain it.  I tried
to use it at one point and it just never really worked well.  Hand-crafted
features files are always the best option, IMHO.  It might be nice to have
a Maven archetype or something that would generate a "features module" from
scratch, to give folks a starting point.