I like the idea of reducing the number of files in etc folder.
However I would vote against it until there is a good documentation of how
to configure everything that's in those removed files. That is what can be
configured, where, how it differs in clustered env, ...
Once that is place that is easy to find and use I'd love to get rid of
those.

Side note: I don't know how configuration from features works but we need
to be careful with location bindings. We at Liferay used to have some
issues with bundles providing own default configuration which was not
possible to change later on because of location bindings. I'm not saying
this will be a problem with Karaf, but just to keep an eye on it while
changing things.

Best,
Milen

--