> I was able to modify above files, because I saw them being present.

That was exactly my point regarding documentation. I'd imagine a lot of
people would not be even aware something is configurable and can waste time
digging or what's worse, reinvent the wheel. For someone who is been
playing with Karaf (or OSGi in general) for a while - configuration is
fairly familiar and straightforward concept. But for people just starting
their journey it may be hard to figure out.

Best,
Milen

--
http://about.me/milen