Hi all,

As Guillaume says OSGi Alliance is not an open source organisation. It is a
Standards Development Organisation (SDO) where all the OSGi specifications
are developed by a community of members. These members include committers
from Apache, Eclipse and other open source organisations. OSGi is an open
organisation, any company can join and participate. OSGi is not dominated
by one company or individual, specs are developed by volunteers from the
membership and the development process is democratic and open [1]. While
OSGi is driven by its members, there are public feedback channels, see at
the bottom of [1], so if someone is concerned about the direction of a
spec, post feedback, talk to any of the OSGi members or become involved
yourself :)
Most of the OSGi specs are developed through open source projects, many in
Apache. Implementation of an OSGi spec is entirely optional, btw.

Coming back to the RFP that I posted to the OSGi design git repo... This
came from the observation that there are still a number of different ways
to define OSGi applications. Grzegorz mentions Eclipse features below.
Karaf obviously has Karaf Features, Apache Sling has a provisioning
model/feature model and there are even more. The idea for a spec would be
that it would be nice to have a portable description of OSGi applications
that each community would understand. This is often how OSGi specs get
started: the observation that multiple projects try to solve the same
problem, in fact in most cases there were already pre-existing solutions
before a spec is written.
The RFP only states requirements, and these haven't even been discussed in
OSGi yet, but obviously it would be great if all interested projects have
representation in the OSGi discussions, so it's great that Christian has
already offered to wear the Karaf hat.

So... we're really at step 0. I personally think it's worth trying to come
up with a portable application/feature description model in an OSGi spec,
and that's why I'm proposing the RFP. If you're worried, interested or
excited by this: please feel free to provide feedback and help out! :)

Best regards,

David

PS full disclosure: besides being an Apache commiter, I work for Adobe and
am co-chair of the OSGi Enterprise Expert Group [2]

[1] https://github.com/osgi/design
[2] https://www.osgi.org/about-us/working-groups/enterprise/