To make my example, I copied the featuresBoot from a downloaded version of
Karaf 4.2.2:

featuresBoot = \
    instance/4.2.2, \
    package/4.2.2, \
    log/4.2.2, \
    ssh/4.2.2, \
    framework/4.2.2, \
    system/4.2.2, \
    eventadmin/4.2.2, \
    feature/4.2.2, \
    shell/4.2.2, \
    management/4.2.2, \
    service/4.2.2, \
    jaas/4.2.2, \
    deployer/4.2.2, \
    diagnostic/4.2.2, \
    wrap/2.5.4, \
    bundle/4.2.2, \
    config/4.2.2, \
    kar/4.2.2

It appears that when I add "framework" to the list of <bootFeatures>, it
causes this issue.  If I omit it, then the startup.properties file
generates properly.  I would imagine this is a common occurrence, for folks
to want to start with a "vanilla" setup and customize from there (seemed
logical to me).  It looks like the "framework" feature shouldn't be
included in the list, but would be added by the presence of its KAR file:

[INFO] Loading direct KAR and features XML dependencies
[INFO]    Standard startup Karaf KAR found:
mvn:org.apache.karaf.features/framework/4.2.2/kar
[INFO]    Feature framework will be added as a startup feature

Maybe we should provide some more docs (or perhaps I missed them) around
how these different frameworks are selected/installed when using this maven
plugin?