From: Brad Childs <bchi...@redhat.com>
Date: Friday, January 13, 2017 at 11:59 AM
To: Srinivas Naga Kotaru <skot...@cisco.com>
Cc: Nakayama Kenjiro <nakayamakenj...@gmail.com>, dev
<dev@lists.openshift.redhat.com>
Subject: Re: storage labels

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Srinivas Naga Kotaru (skotaru)
<skot...@cisco.com<mailto:skot...@cisco.com>> wrote:
Perfect, that answer and clarify. Thank you, Nakayama,

I was able to bound a PV which has label selectors using a PVC which doesn’t
have any selectors. This behavior completely makes useless our storage labeling
strategy. We want to label few volumes (special volumes by
cost/performance/size) to specific clients and want only that clients can use
these PV using label selectors. Clients who don’t mention label selectors in
PVC should bound general volumes

This concerns us a lot. How to deal this issue?

One way is to require every PVC to create with a selector.  If you have a
performance={fast, slow} then every PVC must create with a selector for
performance=something.

You could use StorageClass in a similar way.  Special PVs that you want only
certain users to use would belong to a specific StorageClass and general
purpose PVs to another.  You could then set the default StorageClass to the
general purpose so users must specifically request PVs from the higher
performance StorageClass.

-bc

--
Srinivas Kotaru