In 3.6 you can look at which master is using the most memory (the
passive controllers won’t use much at all).

You can also do a GET /controllers against :8444 which returns 200 if
this is the active controller, or 404 (iirc) otherwise.  That’s been
removed though in newer versions in favor of the election annotations.