Hello Discuss mailing list,

I'm moving this over from the Dev mailing list. The question is, how
do I proceed with visibly broken changes to the mechanism? (I'll
include the relevant discussion below, but will incorporate it into
this top-level post.)

I was initially going to pose this as a question, but now I'm just
going to Let It Be Known: I'm going ahead with visibly-breaking
changes.

I actually agree with Aaron that breaking things at least *shows
progress*. It is totally possible to break the mechanism's visible
aspects without breaking other parts of the site, like tickets or
discussions or the wiki. Plus, the mechanism is already broken, and
that fact is already made visible to a greater or lesser extent.

The only reservation I have is, how long will it stay broken?
I guess I'm the one to answer that question, but unfortunately I don't
know right now.

Let me fill you in on what's happening. I have been working to
separate the mechanism logic into its own, self-contained code unit
("module"). Doing so broke a couple things, which will be fixed later.
First, though, I'm going to separate out other modules:

    - the wiki
    - notifications
    - discussions
    - tickets
    - others?

That means I won't be fixing the mechanism right away, and in fact, I
couldn't do so anyway. The other components need to be separated out
first.

The alternative to breaking things would be to keep this new code on a
separate branch, but that creates a lot of trouble. Work done in
parallel is harder to synchronize. Things stagnate. Velocity wanes.

This is just going to be a rocky time right now, but the payoff will
be huge!