There is at the moment only the idea of a common logging configuration
specification for all the logging services subprojects. Note that this
topic sounds like a great idea at first but gets complicated really quickly
when thinking about all the different appenders, different notions about
classes and namespaces or even differences in the environments like how
settings are saved and retrieved. Storing the configuration in xml is not
on all platforms the first choice. Because of these differences the
different logging subprojects have evolved and they only share one thing:
they are there to provide a logging framework that fits into the
environments where they run.

You could base your configuration files on a common configuration file and
generate one for log4net and one for log4php during the release or
deployment process. However i doubt the effort outweighs the benefits
because every installation needs something slightly different. Further,
when investigating an issue in backend A it should not affect backend B or
frontend C and no longer be replaced by the default configuration on an
update.

Last but not least, I would like to mention that decoupling applications is
a great thing. A strongly coupled application is hard to maintain and
refactor. And yes, I've been in such a situation and got no t-shirt. This
is what I've learned back then:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_concerns

As you say, you have two systems running on the same machine and they are
two systems that are related, but developers and devops should care where
they relate. Where they "communicate", there should be an API and the
surface of both should be as small as possible. Hidden dependencies is not
a great thing because it makes space for culprits and pitfalls.