De: Dominik Psenner [mailto:dpsen...@gmail.com]
Enviado el: martes, 8 de agosto de 2017 14:45
Para: dev@logging.apache.org
Asunto: RE: [log4net][log4php] Xml Config file

There is at the moment only the idea of a common logging configuration
specification for all the logging services subprojects. Note that this topic
sounds like a great idea at first but gets complicated really quickly when
thinking about all the different appenders, different notions about classes and
namespaces or even differences in the environments like how settings are saved
and retrieved. Storing the configuration in xml is not on all platforms the
first choice. Because of these differences the different logging subprojects
have evolved and they only share one thing:
they are there to provide a logging framework that fits into the environments
where they run.

You could base your configuration files on a common configuration file and
generate one for log4net and one for log4php during the release or deployment
process. However i doubt the effort outweighs the benefits because every
installation needs something slightly different. Further, when investigating an
issue in backend A it should not affect backend B or frontend C and no longer
be replaced by the default configuration on an update.

Last but not least, I would like to mention that decoupling applications is a
great thing. A strongly coupled application is hard to maintain and refactor.
And yes, I've been in such a situation and got no t-shirt. This is what I've
learned back then:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_concerns

As you say, you have two systems running on the same machine and they are two
systems that are related, but developers and devops should care where they
relate. Where they "communicate", there should be an API and the surface of
both should be as small as possible. Hidden dependencies is not a great thing
because it makes space for culprits and pitfalls.