Did you look at any of the links in my email?  Java 10 will be released in
March. When that happens Java 9 will be unsupported for everyone. You cannot
purchase support for it or get security updates. It is dead.  The same thing
will happen with Java 10 in September when Java 11 is released.  So having a
policy that we will only ever choose an LTS version as our minimum supported
version makes sense to me.  We can even predict when we will do that if we want.

That isn’t to say we cannot support Java 10+ features. The multi-release jar
was introduced to explicitly allow us to do that, although I agree it is
unfortunate that it was done in a way that causes so much grief.

Ralph