Well, here are some things to think about.
1. When Oracle drops support for Java 9 next month does that mean we want to
replace it with Java 10 in our toolchain?
    a. Infra still includes JDK 1.4 in its list of choices so I’m sure they
will continue to allow Java 9 to be used.
    b. I see nothing in Java 10 that we would need to support or would impact
Log4j users.
    c. I know you like to make sure we are always compatible with the latest
everything, so I don’t know why this would be any different.
2. How will this impact our support strategy? If someone reports a problem with
Java 9 in April are we going to tell them to try it with Java 10? We have
always been a bit lax (as we are with Java 7) since we know that there are some
companies that have purchased support. I can’t imagine these same (ultra
conservative) companies upgrading to a non-LTS release so I really do doubt
that anyone will be using Java 9 in production come June.

If Oracle decides to provide support outside of what they have publicly stated
of course they can do that, but I doubt you or I will ever know about it. I
suspect most open source projects will take them at their word and more or less
ignore non-LTS releases.

Ralph