On Sep 20, 2010, at 2:46 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Sep 20, 2010, at 2:21 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
>>> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
>>> wrote:
>> While, yes, I will agree it is not official, it is the de facto standard by
>> which we have done releases and RM's have always worked to it.
>
> I'd wager that there has never been a single lucene or solr release
> that followed every single instruction to the T.  Which means that
> people need to use their heads and understand that "many of the items
> may be optional, or may be modified as necessary."
>
> You can't point at the guide as a *reason* to do something, only *how*
> to do something.  If I knew someone would point to it and say "you
> must do XYZ because it's on that HOWTO" then I would have vetoed most
> changes to that page.

As I have said for the 3rd time, of course I get that people need to be
flexible and there has always been an implied "use your head".  But, as I said,
given you wrote it on the heels of the discussion around Maven and that you
think we shouldn't publish Maven artifacts, I think it is clear you intend it
to imply that the RM gets to chose what artifacts are released.  Is that not
the case?