> I get your reasoning, but unfortunately, because you don't understand how
> Maven works you don't realize why maintaining it downstream is not an option.
>  Sorry.

Seems very doable to me. A couple dudes get together and become the
authority for Lucene/Solr Maven themselves. Apply to Mavens whatever
process, make a website, throw a party, make maven artifacts. In a short
time you will be known as the source of Maven artifacts for Lucene/Solr,
sending out our signed jars to the masses. We don't need to do it. No
one has said anything about the Maven process that locks us into doing it.

Comparing Maven support to code features is insane IMO. We are in the
business of code in my opinion. Code and tagging code as a release - at
most putting the release on the mirrors.

Again, I'm still of the opinion Maven should be downstream.

- Mark