: FWIW, I get the sense that a lot of other projects deal with merges.  What do
they do?

I suspect they do merges properly and avoid this problem entirely.

Bottom Line: if *all* merges happen at the top level, then this problem
won't exist -- mergeinfo props get added to individual files only when
individual file merges take place, or with merges from mixed working
revisions.  Once a file gets those merge props, all future merges
in that tree interact with those individual file props even if the merge
has nothing to do with those files...

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.branchmerge.advanced.html#svn.branchmerge.advanced.finalword

-Hoss