On Jan 10, 2011, at 5:59 AM, Simon Willnauer wrote:

> hey,
>
> today I came across function query in lucene and that reminded me that
> Solr is already using its own derived version which is no good IMO. We
> should try to consolidate the two version and make solr use the
> consolidated version which would even be good for lucene users. It
> seems it would make lots of sense to make the entire function query
> stuff a module and drop it from core in 4.0. I didn't look too close
> into the solr version but it seems to be not that hard to luceneify it
> and move it to modules, thoughts?

Much of the function query stuff in Solr is driven off of query parsers that
support the functions as well as the FieldType, which is one of the reasons
Lucene has never had much support.  I think the other reason is simply that in
Lucene it's often not difficult to get "function-like" capabilities without the
formality of a function query (since one is writing lower-level code).  On the
other hand, it has always amazed me at how much Solr user's use FQs (function
queries) and how little Lucene users use them.

At either rate, +1 on it being a module if you can manage to detangle it all
(there is a lot of coupling with FieldTypes, I suspect) without reducing the
functionality.

-Grant