IMO, I think our source release should be what you get when you do a
checkout from SVN.
Building from source is more expert level, and one needs (minimally) ant set up.

If I do another RC, I'm half-way convinced I should just do an "svn
export" and tar it up.  No .zip... anyone handling a source release
should know what to do with a .tgz   Attempting to automate it by
yanking just the right stuff out of a superset is just so error prone.

As far as docs - I think most people look online first?  They would
certainly look online if they didn't see anything local.

-Yonik