On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 11:18 PM, Chris Hostetter
<hossman_luc...@fucit.org> wrote:

> : A 1.4.2 release in development, yes.  That's the earliest point that
> : the bug was fixed, and someone
> : upgrading from 1.4.1 should look at everything after the 1.4.1 release.
>
> that makes no sense to me.  even if a 1.4.2 release is going ot exist at
> some hypothetical point in the future, it doesn't exist *now* when the 3.1
> release is coming out.  CHANGES.txt should only list real changes since
> real releases.
>
> All of the things listed in the 1.4.2-dev section have actually been fixed
> in the the 3.1 branch as well -- in fact, most of them (all but one i
> think) are double listed in the 3.1 bug section of the CHANGES.txt
>
> We can't predict the future -- we don't know what else might get
> included in a hypotheetical 1.4.2 release, so we're better off listing
> nothing, then listing something that might be wrong.

But it's listed as 1.4.2-dev (in development).
I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind, but feel free to fix it..
it's a really minor issue to me.

> (this, for the record, is one of hte potential problems i've brought up
> several times about having 3x stuff listed in the CHANGES.txt on 4x, nad
> what happens if there are overlapping releases.  it's why i argued that
> the 3x CHANGES.txt should *only* include things commited to the 3x branch
> (nothing from solr 1.4 or lucene 2.9)

I sort of adopted the lucene convention of how to deal with 3x and trunk.
If you fix something in trunk and are going to immediately merge back
to 3x, you put it in the 3x section of CHANGES in trunk and then merge
back.

Personally, I think it might be easiest to keep two files in trunk:
CHANGES_40 and CHANGES.
CHANGES would always be identical to 3x, and you would update that if
you were going to merge back to 3x.
When it's time for release, CHANGES_40 and CHANGES could be put together.

-Yonik
http://www.lucenerevolution.org -- Lucene/Solr User Conference, May
25-26, San Francisco