We as a project won't need to worry about "system of record" or what MS will do
in the future. Really.
I encourage all to read INFRA's post about the ASF-GitHub agreement here
https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/apache-and-github-a-friendly
In the last paragraph it states:

> For many projects, the move to GitHub means a lower bar to both contributing
> as well as troubleshooting and submitting issues to the projects, through the
> GitHub issue and pull request features.
> Our commitment to provenance, quality and open governance remains the same,
> and with our tight integration with GitHub through our linked account
> service, we are able to bring what made Apache a mark of quality to the many
> users and contributors on GitHub.

ASF has us legally covered, and from the foundation's side, GitHub issues is
equal to JIRA issues and GitHub PRs are equal to patches in JIRA.

INFRA also clearly states in the same post that:

> People that wish to continue using their Apache committer accounts to commit
> code may continue doing so on gitbox.apache.org with their Apache
> credentials. Nothing has changed in that respect.

So the argument against TOS or personal M$ dislikes or principles won't hold
here.

We can continue accepting JIRA issues, patches and commits to GitBox for those
who favor those tools for any reason.
But we can equally well embrace the entire GitHub tooling which was made
available to us by ASF earlier this year, and make that the de facto (and
primary documented) way of interacting with Lucene/Solr.
I'd prefer a complete switch like Accumulo did, as a dual tracker situation is
a bit of a mess. A third option is to automate the creation of linked shadow
issues in GH for new JIRA issues that gets created from Syria :)

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com