I have a question for a PR like this -
https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/908/

This user is a first time contributor and now we have to ask the user to
create a tracking Jira for a PR before we can commit this - Is there a
process we can take that can make this smoother for the user?

PR is opened - should automatically create a jira if it doesn’t exist yet

This would have definitely helped , but could we just commit this with the
PR number in the CHANGES file ? I'm not sold on this idea completely myself
because you now have two sources of truths , but that will still happen if
we create a Jira ( the inline code reviews etc would be in the PR )