> auto for .adoc files will guard us from a Windows user checking in an .adoc
> file with CRLF ending in the future, won’t it?

The current rule applies to all files not explicitly listed -- I think
this is wrong. You can add adoc explicitly but don't apply it to the
world at large...

> Or do you mean that it now creates issues for Windows users in some way?

It created an issue for me in that I spent two hours looking for a bug
in the wrong place... and the same problems with auto-magical git
conversions happen *over and over* for me in multiple projects -- it's
not the first time.

It is really hard to figure out what's going on when you stumble upon
a problem like this. Also, like I said previously, I don't trust all
git implementations and versions to handle those directives
identically (jgit in particular). I don't mind those rules as long as
they create identical repository on local clone/reset. This means all
hashes of all files should be identical: windows or linux. If they're
not the same it's potentially trouble.

If we're so concerned about CRLF then I'd say add such rules to
precommit check (I can do it, no problem) but those automatic
conversions are/will be a constant trouble.

D.