> It created an issue for me in that I spent two hours looking for a bug in the
> wrong place...

I regret that it made it harder for you to find the issue.  But at the
end of the day the issue wasn't with gitattributes, it was a slip-up
in custom precommit code.

I agree with Jan - "auto" prevents CRLF from being injected into the
files that don't need it, it's a Good Thing.  Now, if gitattributes
breaks your normal workflow in some way - if your diffs start looking
noisy and weird locally, if Eclipse or IntelliJ behave weirdly, if
builds fail, etc. - then absolutely we need to scale back what
gitattributes affects.  But with our custom precommit code fixed, is
that the case?

If you feel strongly enough, I'll scale back what gitattributes
affects.  But as Jan pointed out, this is a concrete benefit to us,
and it doesn't feel right to walk that back just because there might
be some workflow issue out there that we don't know about.