Yes "fix version". By "a single task list" do you mean one issue with
sub-tasks?  Definitely "-1" from me as it seems like a huge misuse of JIRA
when the concept of a version is already present.  I think issues can't be
multi-level as well so it'd rule out any bigger items that already have
sub-tasks.

Here are all LUCENE/SOLR issues that are not resolved with a fix version of
"master (9.0)":
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20in%20(LUCENE%2C%20SOLR)%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%22master%20(9.0)%22%20AND%20resolution%20is%20EMPTY%20ORDER%20BY%20updated%20DESC

There are many -- 134.  As to be expected, many are aspirational and we'll
never get to by 9 or ever, and of course sometimes a contributor sets the
version prematurely.  I think we could further refine this by considering
the assignee, and assign or unassign ourselves as we volunteer to get stuff
done.

Speaking of which, maybe we could make "fix version" only settable by us
committers?

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley