: If the changes I proposed are still viewed as having too many downstream
: impacts, my fallback position will be to patch the jars. This involves
: using the gradle import system to get the jars from Maven, then using a
: patch script to manually unzip the jars, move the offending classes into
: other jars which share the same package name and rezip. So far, I've been

I'm no expert here, but i trust that Uwe is, and i feel like your followup
questions/suggests have still avoided his primary point about *why*
Lucene/Solr hasn't attempted jigsaw modulariation...

: >>> There is currently some preparatory things to move forward with modules,
: >>> so although you might be able to actually compile Lucene with module
system
: >>> (by limiting to a subset of JAR files), it currently won’t work
: >>> cross-module due to the way how it handles ServiceLoader interfaces
: >>> (codecs, postings formats, analyzers, see
: >>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9281). The only way to
: >>> make it work at runtime is to put all of Lucene into one module.

...so, IIUC, even if you patch the *current* jars, any Lucene code you use
that depends on SPI (like analysis chains, codecs, etc...) isn't going to
work unless follow Uwe's primary suggestion for folks who care about
modules...

: >>> Th general recommendation is to combine all required Lucene libraries
: >>> into a separate JAR file during the maven / gradle build (e.g. using the
: >>> Maven Shade plugin). Keep in mind that Lucene is also not suitable for use

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/