> I don't think it is along the Apache way to revert somebody's commit without
> an explicit permission to do so
Interesting, I made the Devil's Advocate argument above with the
Apache Way specifically in mind.

"Community over Code" comes up most often in terms of navigating
interpersonal conflict and fostering contributors; that's valid and
important.  But broken builds cause concrete "Community harm" as well.
100%-fails slow down every developer working on Solr for whatever
length of time the project is in that state.  Established committers,
first-PR contributors, Github forks, everyone.  Leaving 100%-fails out
there while waiting for a committer to respond or fix an issue
prolongs that period: slowing down development and turning off new
potential contributors all the while.  So I think there's a concrete
Apache Way argument for reverting early.

Obviously the revert has to be done diplomatically or it risks
alienating committers and undermining the other Apache Way benefits.
But that's a question of execution not of approach.  There are
tactful, inoffensive ways to roll back a change without implying
negligence, impugning skill-sets, etc.   It's also not a concern
that's specific to reverts - any JIRA comment or dev-list discussion
pointing out issues runs into that.

All that said, this is a Devil's Advocate argument I'm making here.  I
have no plans to go around reverting other's commits; I was just
curious where others were on this in case it came up again later.

Best,

Jason