Hey mark,

my workflow is as follows:

1. cloned lucene/solr on github
2. added apache mirror as upstream remote
3. pull into trunk only from upstream
4. branch for each feature and push to github

I never modify trunk or pull from github and my updates are usually
pretty fast ~ 1-5 sec.

yet, I don't use git svn so for commits I usually go through svn with
a git diff trunk