Hi,

> Any way... seeing you guys use git as committers is encouraging as I thought
> the git side simply is too 2nd class citizen for Lucene/Solr to be effective
> for
> committers.  Guess not.  I'll have to do what Simon's doing.  Woohoo!
> Hopefully it's okay to post git patches to JIRA instead of subversions's; I've
> heard of incompatibility issues but if it's my issue then I'm the one
> committing any way so I guess it won't usually be a problem.

The problem with GIT patches is missing metadata. If you don't use the UNIX
standard "patch" command (which works of course with both SVN and GIT patches),
the SVN patches also contain the SVN revision number that was diffed against.
SVN 1.7-based tools like command line, Eclipse, or TortoiseSVN (which I use)
use this revision number to:

- check out the revision from the patch file metadata
- patch it
- svn up the file to the current working copy version (usually HEAD). This will
actually merge the changes in and it will also bring up the standard merge
tools (3way-merge...).

Without that metadata, as a SVN-only committer (die, git, die *g*), I have no
chance to find out the version a patch was diffed against. Also my tools cannot
automate, I have to manually go back to previous revisions and then apply using
the standard unix "patch -p1" (to get rid of the crazy a/b path prefix, also
not existent in the SVN diffs). After that I must take care to not forget to
add files, adjust svn props because only stock "svn patch" command can do this
for me.

Uwe