You're right, the sidecar index does bring some challenges into the
picture, but we're using it like that for many years, in distributed mode
too, and so far it wasn't an issue. I opened LUCENE-3786 to create
SearcherTaxoManager which lets you manage an IndexSearcher and
TaxonomyReader pairs, like SearcherManager does. I am thinking maybe this
object will also manage the commits to both indexes.

Keeping them in sync is a delicate matter, but certainly doable, even more
so, now that IndexWriter lets you commit just commitData.

The taxonomy manages the global ordinals for categories. The first version
of it used some files (maybe a B-Tree, I don't recall), but moving to a
Lucene index was a huge gain. The code became very simple, and we could
enjoy Lucene's robustness and commit semantics.

The global ordinals are a huge benefit IMO, as they let you do all the work
on integers, rather than strings, and allow you to do faceting both
off-disk an in-memory. They are also NRT friendly (and
DirectoryTaxonomyReader is now NRT too!).

I'm not too familiar with Solr adapters .. will Solr NRT, SolrCloud etc.
work with any adapter, even one that carries along a sidecar index/data
structure? I'm mostly worried about replication, because distributed
indexing should not be affected by the existence of the taxonomy index.

Shai