As I said, if someone volunteers to do some work on the Solr side, I will
gladly participate in that effort.
I just don't even know where to start w/ Solr :).

One thing that would be really great is if we can build an adapter (I think
someone mentioned that word here)
which supports basic facets capabilities, so that we can at least benchmark
Solr's current
implementation vs the implementation w/ the module. I'm talking something
very basic, a'la the test Mike and I
run on the module (counting 1-2 facets, simple hierarchy, simple queries).

Then we can at least tell if moving Solr to the module makes sense, before
we continue to develop all of current
Solr's functionality on top of the module.

Shai