What's a little odd is that this should work exactly as it did before we used
log4j - I just pure copied the code from a Formatter to a Layout. I originally
suspected that the Layout is holding onto stuff, but thought perhaps that had
something to do with java util logging vs log4j, since this didn't seem to
previously show up as an issue. Perhaps we have added enough tests to cross a
threshold while this was not in use.

In any case, it seems likely we can improve the Layout - I can take a look.

- Mark