: > ...surely if the SolrRequestParser *class* had a static var the Logger
: > (instead of an instance var) that wouldn't have counted against the amount
: > of memory being used by the SolrRequestParser ?
:
: No, it wouldn't. We collect static fields from the suite class and
: then traverse the object graph from these (but don't count static
: fields again).

Now i'm completley confused.  i said...

"the Logger used by SolrRequestParsers is not static, so the mem estimator
would count that as ram used by the object itself."

(the object in question being the SolrRequestParsers instance)

Then you said...

"The estimation actually includes static fields"

...it appeared that you were refering to static fields in the classes of
hte objects ithe estimation was asked to look at (ie: the
SolrRequestParsers class), but now i get the sense that you were refering
to static fields in the test -- which was never in question, all of the
fields listed in teh failure message are obviously static fields in the
test class.

So i think my initial understanding was correct, and we are just
confusing eachother and talking in circles?

-Hoss