I'd like to open a discussion of a possible policy.

The policy would look something like the following:

___

All of the projects managed by the Maven PMC are maintained in a
releasable condition. If a developer wants to make a change that will
result in an a component being unreleasable for any significant period
of time, that developer is responsible for setting up a branch
structure that preserved the releasability of the component for the
duration. They might do their work on a sandbox branch, or they might
set up a maintenance branch for the current state of the code.
___

I see several advantages to this policy:

1: The work to fix a small problem or add a small feature is
proportionate.  You can't suddenly find yourself needing to release
four components and / or make a branch and do merges to get a fix out
to the users (including yourself).

2: If we ever have to deal with a security fix, we will find it much
less painful.

3: We recognize the reality that we're all volunteers, and that good
intentions don't always lead to timely activity.

It seems to me that this is in the general territory of 'CD' which is
pretty popular in the world at large.

What do people think?