On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 8:31 AM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io> wrote:
> I don’t think we need a policy for this, it’s just common sense not to break
> master.
>
> If someone inadvertently makes master not work properly then provide a reason
> and put that change on a branch. The developer who did it might not have time
> at the point someone else finds the issue so anyone can correct the issue
> with a reasonable explanation.

> All our projects should work on master. But I’m not going to try and force
> someone to fix the issue by policy if they happen to make a mistake. Just fix
> it and carry on.

'Always working' is not the same as 'always releasable'. From an
English language standpoint, collection of working, interdependent
snapshots is a 'working' state. Your use of the term 'break' is
important here; no one 'broke' anything AFAIK in the sense checking in
grossly broken code; rather, various people rendered various things
unreleasable due to snapshot dependencies, or due to code that is
working, but in their view not ready to release.

I don't think people are making mistakes. I think that they don't
honestly all or always  see 'always releasable' as a guiding
principle.

To be concrete: maven-release-plugin was left unreleasable due to a
snapshot dependency on SCM. SCM is perhaps unreleasable due to several
1/2-cooked JIRAs. A whole raft of plugins are unreleasable due to the
'Maven 3 baseline' project. Maybe this one isn't a fair Axiom Scheme
of examples, because I think there was a general consensus to do this
stuff on trunk -- but it is talking quite a long time.

If the term 'policy' disturbs you due to the implications of coercion,
 then let's not call it a policy. Let's call it a working principle.
I'm not trying to coerce anyone; the Apache veto/revert mechanism for
CTR is perfectly sufficient, as per your remark about 'fix it and move
on.' I perceive a presumption of 'leave it to the person who wants to
make a release to make a branch'. I'd like to move the presumption in
the other direction.