I don’t think we need a policy for this, it’s just common sense not to break
master.

If someone inadvertently makes master not work properly then provide a reason
and put that change on a branch. The developer who did it might not have time
at the point someone else finds the issue so anyone can correct the issue with
a reasonable explanation.

All our projects should work on master. But I’m not going to try and force
someone to fix the issue by policy if they happen to make a mistake. Just fix
it and carry on.

> On Oct 14, 2015, at 8:14 AM, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'd like to open a discussion of a possible policy.
>
> The policy would look something like the following:
>
> ___
>
> All of the projects managed by the Maven PMC are maintained in a
> releasable condition. If a developer wants to make a change that will
> result in an a component being unreleasable for any significant period
> of time, that developer is responsible for setting up a branch
> structure that preserved the releasability of the component for the
> duration. They might do their work on a sandbox branch, or they might
> set up a maintenance branch for the current state of the code.
> ___
>

> I see several advantages to this policy:
>
> 1: The work to fix a small problem or add a small feature is
> proportionate.  You can't suddenly find yourself needing to release
> four components and / or make a branch and do merges to get a fix out
> to the users (including yourself).
>
> 2: If we ever have to deal with a security fix, we will find it much
> less painful.
>
> 3: We recognize the reality that we're all volunteers, and that good
> intentions don't always lead to timely activity.
>
> It seems to me that this is in the general territory of 'CD' which is
> pretty popular in the world at large.
>
> What do people think?

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

What matters is not ideas, but the people who have them. Good people can fix
bad ideas, but good ideas can't save bad people.

 -- Paul Graham