I supposed to align Maven 4.x with model version 4.0, and then
Maven 5.x with model version 5.0.

I supposed to directly release Maven 4.0.0 instead of 3.4.0.

Why we have to control model version and support it if the XSD
schemaLocation is already defined:
http://maven.apache.org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd
?

Is this double definition (xsd schema and modelVersion)?

On 8/27/16, Paul Benedict [via Maven]
<ml-node+s40175n5878775...@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

> Christian, I argue this is a matter of perspective in regards to "solve".
>
> There are two things to solve:
> 1) Introducing new functionality with POM 4.1/5.0
> 2) Introducing acceptable responsiveness to the new POM by older tools
>
> Point #1 can be introduced in whatever version of Maven, that is true, but
> it does have impact on Point #2. I've come to this conclusion based on some
> of the push back seen in this thread. If I may emphasize what concerns me
> most, it is the question of how older versions of Maven will be able to
> cope with something it cannot understand? I believe the best way to
> separate out these two concerns is to have separate lines of development --
> Maven 4.0 for #1 and Maven 3.x for #2 -- so that the two don't constrict
> and collide. The two concerns are admittedly related, but they don't need
> to be developed together because they are distinct enough in their
> behavior. I'd think you really want Maven 4.0 development to be as free as
> possible in terms of building out new features, and then letting the 3.x
> branch react to them in the wild. That's my formula for success which I
> propose to the development team here. I don't think it makes any sense to
> introduce such a grand feature in the 3.x line because it obscures the need
> to devise acceptable responses for older tools.
>
> Pretending that Maven 3.4 (for sake of argument) started to gracefully
> handle future POM versions, the problem yet remains for Maven versions
> prior to 3.4. That's true. However, if agreement can be found in 3.4 for
> how to gracefully handle, and if that design plan is documented well, such
> concerns could be back-ported to even older versions, no? Clearly this
> doesn't help people who refuse to upgrade, but my emphasis here is about
> mitigation for those users who can tolerate a patch release. I'd rather
> have a plan in place to help those who want to help themselves, than do
> nothing at all.
>
> With that said, it is really up to how 3.4 (for sake of argument) should
> gracefully handle the new POM versions. Many forks in the road here leading
> to different design answers :-) However, I find that to be a secondary
> concern, at this time. The first step is really deciding what I proposed:
> introduce POM 4.1/50 in Maven 4.0 or 3.x? If the development team can
> clearly answer that big picture strategy (and you know my opinion on that
> matter), you can then begin to debate how best to be backward compatible.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul
>
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Christian Schulte <c...@schulte.it> wrote:
>
>> Am 23.08.2016 um 15:53 schrieb Paul Benedict:
>> > I advise to not introduce any new POM version in the 3.x series. Please
>> do
>> > that in Maven 4.0 where you can blue sky ideas and green field the
>> > development.
>>
>> And how would we solve the issue at hand in Maven 4? We increase the
> [...]

Cheers
Tibor