Am 08/23/16 um 23:17 schrieb Paul Benedict:
> Truthfully, I must say a lot of this conversation sounds much like
> Subversion's client/server architecture:
>
> *) The server has a Repository Format version = "build POM"
> *) The clients create a Working Copy version on checkout = "consumer POM"
> *) Two distinct schema series
> *) A client that understands the Repository Format version converts it
> locally to a Working Copy
> *) A client that cannot understand a future Repository Format version
> cannot convert it to a Working Copy
> *) An upgraded client can "upgrade" an older Working Copy version to the
> latest Working Copy version
>
> Is this the way Maven wants to go?

I cannot speak for the PMC or explain the way Maven wants to go. When
the above comes to Maven, things are really much more simple. You never
'check out' the sources from a repository. The repository is only there
to serve artifacts to be consumed by projects. You checkout the sources
(containing everything needed to produce the binary artifacts to deploy)
from the SCM, not the repository. There is no need to deploy any kind of
build information to a repository. That's my understanding so far. I may
be wrong here. You could use Maven to do that checkout based on SCM
information from the repository, of course. I think this is what has
been discussed in that hangout you can still watch on youtube or
somewhere else. Maybe someone post the links to that hangout?

Christian