We're missing separations of concerns with the pom. Right now it contains all the information to build the project and all the dependency information. Once deployed only the latter is roughly of any interest. As long as the build-pom is also the deploy-pom, we cannot change a lot since this pom is also metadata for other tools, which are now very well capable in parsing and processing the pom. Once we split this, the build-pom will become a Maven specific file and we can change it as often as we want (though we should try not to do so), as long as the deploy-pom remains the same.

The introduced changes had no effect on the schema, but it did change the behavior of dependency resolution. I don't know every fixed bug/changed feature, but based on the responses there are projects which depend on that bug/feature. Overall I don't have a very good feeling about these changes, since I can't predict the impact. Do we simply push them as bugfixes after more than 5 years? I have more faith in the consumer-pom/dom, but that also requires talking with third parties who depend on Central. I'm talking about artifact repository vendors, IDE vendors and build tool vendors. Together we have enough experience and should be able to come to a new and better schema.

cheers,
Robert