Am 02/17/17 um 21:48 schrieb Michael Osipov:
> Hi folks,
>
> Christian Schulte asked me a couple of days ago wether I am able to
> build Surefire master with Maven master. It was constantly failing for
> him on his OpenBSD machines. Since I have several real servers with
> FreeBSD 10.3-STABLE at hand I did run all Surefire ITs and I was able to
> reproduce it. Our entire test infrastructure wasn't unfortunately!
>
> @Tibor: correct me if something is wrong or missing!
>
> After several days of heavy testing, thread dumps and log file analysis
> with Tibor Digana and various Maven combinations (3.3.9, master,
> MNG-6169, MNG-6169 + MCLEAN 3.0.0) we figured out that there are several
> serious bugs in Surefire master, Maven Shared Utils 0.9/3.1.0 and likely
> Maven Clean Plugin 3.0.0.
>
> Since crucial parts of Surefire rely on native code in the JVM (forks,
> streams), our code was not robust enough.
>
> As of today we have found:
>
> * Missing flushes in streams caused forked VM to be apparently
> non-responsive
> * TestNG tests mostly failed due to duplicate contradicting properties
> passed to forked VMs
> * Uninitialized/too early attributes made daemon threads to kill forked VMs
> * Code or dependency change from MCLEAN 2.6.1 to 3.0.0 cause repeated
> failures of a handful ITs
> @Karl Heinz: were you able to figure out something here?
>
> Issues in JIRA are pending...
>
> Everyone's invited to take a look at the log output as well as the
> target directory of surefire-integration-tests and contribute:
> http://home.apache.org/~michaelo/maven/surefire/. The filenames should
> be pretty much self-explanatory.
>
> My big question is: how can we improve our test infrastructure? Can we
> raise with INFRA to get at least one FreeBSD and Solaris node for
> Jenkins? I consider coverage on Windows and Ubuntu way to small, we do
> not even have a CentOS node. Surefire ITs and Maven ITs are paramount
> for us, we should treat them as such!
>
> Michael

Does any of your findings solve the following already? This is what
makes the Jenkins build jobs appear unreliable. It's sending out an
email about a failed job and all you see is something like the following
sporadically. I am having the same issue locally sporadically.

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin:2.12.4:test
(default-test) on project child2: Execution default-test of goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin:2.12.4:test failed: The
forked VM terminated without saying properly goodbye. VM crash or
System.exit called ? -> [Help 1]
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to
execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin:2.12.4:test
(default-test) on project child2: Execution default-test of goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin:2.12.4:test failed: The
forked VM terminated without saying properly goodbye. VM crash or
System.exit called ?

Christian